What are Small Group Strategy Calls?
The value of belonging to the AFS community is accessing the knowledge of those with similar experiences. Just like your business, development, and growth never stop.
Small Group Strategy Calls are small, structured, interactive groups, held monthly, that provide extensive feedback and discussion on the issues of vital interest to your business.
- Formal discussions
- Emphasis on the discussion and accountability
- Calls are mandatory
- Participants play an active role
- Members are required to speak from their own personal experience; must be transparent
- The overriding goal is participation and information exchange
What to Expect:
- Calls last 90 minutes
- 10 minutes of presentation
- 60 minutes of open discussion
- 20 minutes of Q&A/wrapup
- Goal for each participant to speak 5x
Members must apply by completing the online application, accessible by clicking the button below.
Once your application has been approved, you’re placed into your group with others with similar profiles. Members must come prepared with the following information:
- Name, company name, their interest/expectations for the discussion topic
- Topic Introduction: Important points you will be covering during your presentation
- Main points: communicate the main ideas and sub-ideas
- Discussion: this will be the bulk of the time where feedback from your peers is provided
- Review: tell the group what you’ve just covered, summarize main points
- Conclusion: thank participants for attending and engaging in the discussion
Admission By Application Only
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: I just heard about these calls. Can I start next week?
A: We take online applications all year long, and we place participants as quickly as we can based on available space.
Q: I know someone in this program and they really rave about it. Can I just join his/her group?
A: We work towards the best placement possible. There are many factors that go into the placement of individuals, including selecting non-competing cities and recognizing potential conflicts of interest.
Q: Do I have to apply? How do I apply?
A: Yes, an application is required. This program does not allow ‘walk-ins.’ An online application must be filled out and submitted for processing and potential placement.
Q: Once accepted and placed, when do I meet with my group?
A: Each group sets its own meeting schedule for the same time and day of the month. Participants should reserve that time on his/her calendar.
Q: I am not sure I can make my call each month. Can I just attend when I can?
A: Unfortunately, no. It is imperative for members to make the commitment to be on their call every month for the maximum benefit of all. However, if needed, table members are allowed to miss no more than two meetings a year and not in a row.
Q: So, how does this work? Do a bunch of us just show up and talk about whatever?
A: The calls will be facilitated by an AFS representative who will guide the organized discussion. The moderator is your ‘go-to’ contact.
Q: This sounds like an awesome opportunity to pitch my products/services to business decision makers!
A: ABSOLUTELY NO SELLING will be tolerated. While some participants may ultimately form bonds that lead to future business relationships or collaborations, members are strictly prohibited from pitching or selling of any kind. However, recommendations based on your own experiences will be allowed.
Q: What if I don’t feel the group is a good fit once I attend?
A: Meeting and getting to know the members of your group will take a little while and more than one meeting. We have found that new participants quickly acclimate to the group. However, on the occasion that a good connection is just not possible, you may contact an AFS representative to share your concerns and request a new placement, based on availability.