Through your AFS membership we form one collective voice and can counter any negative press, law, regulation or policy that might have a dramatic impact on you and your business.
In order to create change it will take a large and vocal community of like-minded people to make an impact. Through AFS, you are part of this community!
The PHIT ACT
Otherwise known as the Personal Health Investment Today (PHIT) Act, this policy would change the IRS definition of a “medical expense” to include physical activity as a form of prevention.
Expanding the medical expense definition would make physical activity expenses reimbursable using pre-tax dollars in Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) and Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) and would allow consumers to deduct physical activity costs once they meet the 10 percent of income threshold on medical expenses.
Josh Leve, AFS Founder & CEO recently conducted a webcast with SFIA President & CEO, Tom Cove. This is a must watch webcast that discusses everything currently going on regarding the PHIT Act.
In this webcast, you'll learn:
- What is the PHIT Act?
- How the PHIT Act impacts the fitness studio community
- How to get more involved
- How to leverage this movement to grow your business
- The PHIT Act's impact physical education, both locally and nationally
AFS and PHIT America have teamed up to present you with this incredibly important webinar.
During this very timely presentation you'll learn...
- Why the inactivity pandemic is a global crisis
- Evidence based research (from Nike and others) on the importance of staying active
- How keeping active increases consumer spending
- The importance of getting kids (and their parents) active
- Why adopting a school and introducing family based fitness programming could be the key to your studio's success
- What AFS members can do to leverage this movement to grow their business
How AFS Protects You and Your Business. Together, we will...
- Join forces with like-minded organizations to fight governmental intrusion into our industry. The fitness industry can be an easy mark for cash-strapped governments and governmental agencies who think that somehow they can better oversee our industry than can the industry itself.
- Support the use of and training for Automatic External Defibrillators (AEDs) and encourage every studio to go above and beyond local and state regulations.
- Actively participate in Augie’s Quest to help find a cure for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, or Lou Gehrig’s disease).
- Fight the obesity epidemic
- Reduce healthcare costs through adoption of pro-fitness legislation